South Thailand

Our Focus is to reach out to the local community by conducting English learning programs. We first visited the English Language Centre at Yala in July 2012 and began to understand the needs and relevance of teaching English as a medium of evangelism in the local community.   In August 2013, we conducted a 3-day English Camp for the children and an overwhelming 50 students responded.  Meanwhile, one of the missionary staff there felt the need to start a new work at Betong and after scouting the place, the new Betong Learning Centre was set up in June 2014. An estimated 80% are Muslims and the remaining 20% are staunch Thai Buddhist in both towns.  Since 2013, RGBC has been in partnership with the missionaries there and our team goes in at least once a year to conduct English camps and sessions at the learning centers, as well as outreach points.

The on-going work at Yala:

  • English Language Center – average 30 students age 6 to 18 and working professionals attend English classes.  The center also gives scholarships.
  • ‘Happy Kids’ class at the Government’s Home for Boys (orphanage) – share Bible stories and fun activities with around 20 boys (age 7 to 12) on Saturday.
  • ‘Happy Kids’ class at TK Park (a public library) – started in December 2015, teaching children age 6 to 12 every Sunday afternoon.
  • Goat Project in CDC (Sabayoi) – assistance in Goat rearing, such as giving free vaccinations and medications to the village farms.
  • Calabash trees – the syrup/juice from the fruits are produced and sold.  Has healing properties.
  • Government’s Social Development Department – invited to teach working adults

At Betong:

  • Betong Learning Centre – average 20 students age 6 to 18 attend English classes
  • Village outreach – Soi Ehsan, Lahu and Jaruk Susus – goes in to teach English weekly

Date
Categories